Thursday 12 April 2012

Robin Update

For those of you that follow me on Twitter will know this as old news now...

We got home from work at about 7.30pm last night and noticed that the nest was empty. I was a little sad that they had chosen the one day this week that I wasn't working from home to fly the nest.

I started making dinner and could hear daddy Robin screeching from the telephone line above the garden - I knew something wasn't right! I went out with my torch to have a look and ended up chasing a black and white cat out of my neighbours garden where I had found one of the chicks - headless :(

I came back home and wiped my eyes to hear Rigby whining in our garden. I again went out with the torch and he had found and was nudging another dead chick with his nose then looking at me as if to say 'what's wrong with him?'

I am not sure where the other three chicks are but when I hunted round my garden today in the light (before it started to tip it down) and couldn't find them.

Friends and family have said although it sad, its nature.

I have a little solace in the fact that I think the robins actually have a second nest not too far away, as I can hear them calling each other and see them in a tree a few houses away. I have read that they have two or three broods in the spring. So, fingers crossed.

As I said in my post yesterday, to have robins nest in my garden felt like an honour and made me feel very special. I hope that one day they will return.

RIP baby robins x

No comments:

Post a Comment